frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it to late to get my dogs tail docked

My dog had puppies and they are now 3 weeks old is it to late to get my puppies tail docked.

Best Answer

• edited June 14 Answer ✓
    Dear Nancy,

Before docking your dogs tails please consider these facts:

Complications of docking dogs tail:

• Formation of neuromas: Neuromas are bundles of swollen nerve fibers that try to grow at the site of the amputation and can cause severe pain.
    • Disruption of balance: Dogs use their tail to balance out their weight, both on land and when swimming.
    • Stress: Some puppies have been so stressed by the procedure that they've died of shock.
    • Impact on communication: Dogs communicate with other dogs by wagging -- to the left means fear and stress, and right signifies that they're relaxed. It's easier for other dogs to read these signals with a long tail.

The Recommended Age for docking the tail in dogs:

Usually usually it is recommended to be done around the age of 10-14 weeks old, the procedure requires full anaesthesia.

Good luck :smile: 
    Al