frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My English bulldog has a rash on her belly I gave her a steroid and a benedryl that seems to be help

What els can I do she is constintly licking her feet till they bleed does anyone know what this might be 

Best Answer

• Answer ✓
    Hello David,

Usually the main cause of the rash on the stomach of dogs, the scrotum/groin, and the legs would be  either contact dermatitis or impetigo. Please note that later on this regional rash might turn into a whole body rash.

She  might be allergic to chemical substances hence, one solution which I would recommend is to change  your laundry detergent and check your cleaning substances. She also may be allergic to the chemicals used to wash the bedding, the floor, or the couch.

What is Contact Dermatitis ?

A sudden rash or an allergic reaction despite having no history of sensitivity, could be contact dermatitis. Symptoms usually develop after a period of repeated physical contact and skin sensitization, and contact dermatitis occurs most often on the stomach, the scrotum/groin, and/or the legs (or in other spots with less hair or hairless).

Symptoms and Types

Dogs suffering from contact dermatitis will most likely suffer from rashes and/or bumps which occur on the skin that has come in contact with the ground (i.e., the chin, neck, chest, abdomen, groin, anal area, scrotum, tail, and between the toes). These rashes may stop abruptly at the hairline. Other common symptoms include itching, which is usually severe, and swelling.

Causes

• Plants
    • Mulch/Cedar chips
    • Herbicides
    • Fertilizers
    • Rugs
    • Carpets
    • Concrete
    • Metal
    • Rough surfaces
    • Soaps
    • Detergents
    • Floor waxes
    • Carpet and litter deodorizers
    • Sensitivity to the sun/heat
    • Topical agents
    • Medications
    • Food allergy
    • Insect bites
    • Fabrics
    • Plastics
    • Rubber
    • Leather
    • Bacterial infection
    • Fungal infection (e.g., ringworm)
    • Lupus
    • Dandruff
    • Flea collars
    • Parasitic hypersensitivity or infestation
    • Insecticides, including newer topical flea treatments

Diagnosis

The best option would be taking your dog to a Vet. The first task will be to find out what the offending irritant is. The symptoms cannot be treated until tests are completed, to avoid aggravating the condition. There are several ways to approach tracking down the triggers. One is to do what is called a patch test: the suspected substance is placed on a patch and taped to the skin for 48 hours. Any reaction is then assessed. The second is to remove the pet from the offending environment for a period of time and then return it to the environment, monitoring what happens and whether it has had any impact one way or the other.

Your veterinarian will also want to perform bacterial cultures. A clip of hair may be taken from a patch in an area that is not affected, applied to a sample of the suspected antigen, and observed for possible reaction. Skin biopsies are also sometimes required.

Treatment

• The only way to treat contact dermatitis is to avoid exposure to the irritant, whatever it may be.
    • To get rid of the skin irritation, your veterinarian can prescribe an antihistamine.
    • It's important that you keep your dog from licking the irritated area because it could lead to bacterial and yeast infections, which could further aggravate the skin and exacerbate the problem.