Parvo Recovery

sbb
sbb
My 10 month old English Bulldogge was diagnosed Monday with Parvo. The Vet immediately started IVs, antibiotics, and anti-nausea medicine. Monday, she had diarrhea before lunch but then no more, and she vomited only once around 4:00. Tuesday - they offered food, when she smelt it, she vomited. She only had diarrhea once around 5:00 on Tuesday. Today (Wednesday) - they tried food again and she wouldn't eat. The Vet thinks maybe her medicine is making her not want to eat, so she is going to stop that med and try to feed at noon. Is this normal for Parvo and how long will it take for her to come home?

Best Answer

• Dog.Lover
    Dog.Lover
    edited August 2016 Answer ✓
    Hello,

Sorry to hear that your dog.

Well let me be honest with you, at the moment there is no Cure for Parvovirus and all medicines used for this disease are mostly supportive plus Antibiotics to prevent secondary Bacterial infections.

I believe your vet is doing the right job for her and hopefully everything will be fine.

If you want to know more info about Parvovirus infection Please check out this page :

General information about Canine Parvovirus

And here is some additional questions and answers regarding this disease :

Q&As about Parvo

Again do not worry and trust your Vets and frequently ask him/her that what you should do for your dog. The most important thing is to keep her strong so her body can fight this virus.

HOSPITALIZATION enables Vets to provide the best medicine and is the best way to achieve success. With most dogs, there is at least a 70% survival rate. Very small (young) puppies, Rottweilers, and Dobermans usually only have a 30-50% chance of survival. Length of treatment depends on the severity of disease. Most dogs have to stay hospitalized for at least 2-4 days, but may require treatment for as long as a week. Dogs that recover from parvo are often weak, making them even more susceptible to other diseases, such as distemper. Dogs that recover from parvo continue to spread the virus in the feces for a month or longer.

Best of luck,
    Ali.

Answers

• josh7602
    josh7602
    My dog has parvo and I found out 11/2/16 and she started the day before with the symptoms and 11/4/16 she is eating alittle and drinking Pedialyte on here own do you think she will be ok
  • Dog.Lover
    Dog.Lover
    edited November 2016
    josh7602 said:

My dog has parvo and I found out 11/2/16 and she started the day before with the symptoms and 11/4/16 she is eating alittle and drinking Pedialyte on here own do you think she will be ok

Hello Josh,

Sorry to hear this, but yeah of course she would be able to survive.
    When a dog gets Parvo everything after that would depend on the supportive treatments which includes Antibiotic therapy , Vitamin and mineral Shots and injections (and if she eats we can use the oral types) and yeah eating food.

I am sure that her Vet is the best person to help you about what should be prescribed and what she should eat but here is also an article about Parvo in Dogs that I think would provide you with useful information about Parvo in Dogs.

http://v3t.us/dog-parvo-symptoms-treatment-t115679

https://www.vetarena.org/dogs-health-care-articles/general-information-about-canine-parvovirus-dog-parvo-285/page-2.html

Good luck,
    Ali.